Our dental team cares for you and your smile, and we strongly recommend flossing each day. Flossing helps remove the harmful substances in your smile because if they remain, you will be at higher risk of tooth decay and gum disease. However, we understand that flossing can be daunting for some, which is why we recommend using a water flosser for our patients who struggle with flossing their pearly whites.
Water flossers are small, wand-like tools that fit perfectly in your hand. These tools spray pulses of water from the tips of the wands in a strong and forceful manner, but they are not dangerous. The flosser will deeply clean your smile in an easy and comfortable way.
How to Use a Water Flosser
- Make sure the base, also known as the reservoir, is filled with lukewarm water. Select the tip you would like to use, and adjust the pressure control to the level you prefer.
- Lean over the sink and press the tip of the water flosser in your mouth. Close your lips around the tip and turn the unit on. It’s important to keep your lips tight around the flosser.
- Start by rinsing between your back teeth and pause briefly at every crevice. When cleaning aim the flosser tip just above the gumline at a 90-degree angle.
- When you are done washing the food particles and plaque from between your teeth, turn the unit off and then press the “Tip Eject” button to remove the tip.
Why Use a Water Flosser
- Evidence proves that it is an effective way to deeply clean the crevices of your smile.
- It is easy to use.
- It effectively removes plaque and other harmful substances from your teeth.
- It deeply cleans the pockets in your mouth.
- It thoroughly cleans around braces and other orthodontic appliances.
- It is safe and gentle.
- It reduces your chances of having periodontal disease.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment with Dr. Joseph Goodman in Beverly Hills, California, we invite you to give us a call today at 310-734-4557. We look forward to helping you with all of your oral health needs!